Monday, January 1, 2018

Cajun Seasoned FIsh


Super simple meal. This is one of my emergency meals. As in, whenever I'm starving or home alone and just don't have the energy or desire to cook.

I keep some sort of frozen fish in my freezer for just this occasion. Fish is loaded with nutrients, including those omega-3 fatty acids everyone is always talking about. Why buy a pill whenever you can eat the source? Keep your brain and stomach happy and healthy.

What kind of fish? That depends on you. I use the following consumer guide from Seafood Watch to ensure my choices are good for the environment. 



Ingredients:

  • 4 fish fillets (thawed if frozen)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I use this brand which is available at my local supermarket)
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp oil
Directions:
*I recommend assembling side dishes prior to beginning; the fish will take <10 minutes.
  1. Rinse fillets and pat dry.
  2. Combine seasoning, flour, and cornmeal in a large bowl.
  3. Coat both sides of fish in seasoning mix.
  4. Heat butter and oil until sizzling.
  5. Fry fish for 3 minutes on each side until golden.

Side Dish Suggestions
  • side salad
  • sauteed zucchini slices
    • just add salt and pepper to taste and fry in layers
  • roasted potatoes
    • golden potatoes quartered, coated in oil, salt, and pepper and roasted at 425 degrees for 20 minutes
  • sauteed spinach and garlic
    • fry freshly chopped garlic in olive oil until fragrant, add spinach and saute until wilted



1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious Angie, I'll be trying the fish this week. Jean H

    ReplyDelete